What steps should you take to protect your ACL from injury?
ACL injuries have become increasingly more common in athletics today. It comes as no surprise, as the speed of the game and level of play has elevated exponentially over the years.
Females are at an anatomical disadvantage and are 8-9x’s more likely to have an ACL injury occur than males.
Here are some steps to take in your training to improve your strength and protect your ACL:
- Single leg strength
- Develop hamstrings and glutes
- Work on body positioning with running mechanics
- Train plyometric jump mechanics
- Strengthen core stability for maintaining body positioning
- Improve foot and ankle stability
Combining strength and stability throughout the entire body (especially the lower) along with proper technique and body positioning is the most optimal route.
Take the steps now to significantly reduce your risk of injury!